Finally, we have sunshine in the morning instead of winter gloom. Are you in a hurry to enjoy the day? Wait! Take a few minutes for a quick breakfast and get ready to enjoy every bit of this glorious weather.
A quick breakfast will jump-start you and power you through the day ahead.
You may think it, but breakfast is NOT overrated! Morning meals have been known to improve attention, increase alertness and help with memory. Starting the day off with a meal also improves your mood and keeps you feeling good all day long. Ten minutes in the morning pays off all day!
Not a morning person? In a hurry? Enjoying something delicious like a fruit smoothie or a hearty muffin, both of which can you wake up in a hurry and keep you running better all day. Just make them the night before! (See our Recipes section.) "Shake it Up, Baby!" with an easy to make smoothie that delights your taste buds.
Here are the Easy Basics of Smoothies :
- Start with ½ cup liquid (plain yogurt, almond milk, coconut milk or coconut water) and add 1 cup of fruit or veggies in a blender.
- Add what you like in the right order to makes your smoothie smoother. Liquids first followed by semi-liquids like yogurt. Next add small pieces of fruits and veggies. Add the soft ones first and the crunchier ones last.
Be creative! Find the taste that you like and the nutrients your body needs.
- Bananas make smoothies a bit thicker, "hide" bitter flavors and give you potassium and iron to boost energy and help maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Mangoes (loaded with antioxidants; good for eyes and skin) and pineapples (packed with manganese and B vitamins for healthy bones) are good paired with less sweet greens. If you are just starting to use greens like kale (brimming with Iron and vitamin K for your circulation), use a small amount to start and gradually increase them.
- Cinnamon adds a lot of flavor PLUS helps lower blood sugar!
See our Tips section for more ideas!
Tomorrow morning, toss off your covers and give yourself a morning treat. Try breakfast for a week AND see how much better you feel all day long. You just might become a morning person when you have something delicious to look forward to!
Good For You Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 ½ Tbsp milk (skim, soy, almond, coconut, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with paper cups or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl: Mix flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In a separate bowl: Combine bananas, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, non-fat Greek yogurt, egg whites and melted butter.
- Stir banana mixture into the flour mixture and add milk. The batter will be thick.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.
- OPTIONAL TOPPING: In a small bowl mix ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp flour, ¼ cup walnuts and ¼ tsp cinnamon. Cut in 1 Tbsp of butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the muffins. Place into the oven and bake for 20 - 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean.
- PRO TIP: Muffins freeze well. Wrap each one separately in plastic wrap and freeze for later. ONLY 177 CALORIES!
Smoothie and Breakfast Tips
- Too thick? Add a little water.
- Too thin? Add some yogurt, avocado or banana.
- Too bitter? Add honey, strawberries or any sweet fruit. You can also try a little bit of almond, cashew or peanut butter to cut the bitterness.
- Want more flavor? Add some cinnamon, a little cocoa powder or even some cayenne.
- Make a smoothie recipe plan! Buy fruit and freeze it in portions to use in your daily smoothies.
- Freeze chopped kale in small packages to add to your smoothies. Freezing also cuts down on bitterness.
- Bananas getting too ripe? Freeze them. It keeps the nutrition and the flavor even when they don't look beautiful.
Breakfast in a Hurry
- Make your smoothie the night before and store it in the fridge in a sealed plastic container.
- Bake muffins and then freeze them. Grab one when you're on your way out the door!
Skin Brightening Smoothie
- This smoothie will get you looking good for spring! Blend together:
- 1 tsp of cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup of vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup of coconut water
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup pineapple
- 1 cup kale.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!