Rushed for dinner? Ahh, Pizza!! An American icon from Italy! Always a quick favorite. Wait! Put down the phone. You can have a better pizza on the table faster than the pizza man can deliver a pie. Make your own! Our Tortilla Pizza costs less, tastes better, is healthier and faster. Cut down on the carbs and calories with a thin crust at the same time you increase the taste with toppings you love. Surprise your family.
Try different cheeses, sauces and "things" on the top.
Basic Tortilla Pizza
Start with a quick and easy pie and then get creative with the toppings. Make individual pizzas with smaller tortillas or use half a large tortilla for each person.
- 4 ounces of sauce for each tortilla (pizza sauce, regular pasta sauce, even barbecue sauce or enchilada sauce)
- 2-3 ounces of cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, goat, feta....so many cheeses to choose from!)
- Heat the oven to 450°.
- Lightly brush the bottom of the tortilla with olive oil and place on a cookie sheet.
- Add a thin layer of sauce and sprinkle on the cheese.
- Add the topping you want.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or 15 minutes for a crispier crust.
Pizza can actually be THE healthy "fast food"...depending on what you put on top of the basic pie. Tomatoes and tomato sauce give you lycopene to help fight certain cancers. Cheese has calcium and protein for strong bones. Onions, peppers and mushrooms - those pizza topping favorites - have vitamins A, C and E that boost the immune system. Pile on the veggies. Chopped kale, spinach or broccoli give you the delicious taste of roasted veggies, plus iron, fiber and vitamin C. Got "must-have-meat" lovers? A few slices of chorizo, pepperoni or chopped up cooked chicken will satisfy them. Sprinkle on whatever you like!
Bonus Time!! Make eating healthy FUN! Get family members to grate the cheese or cut up the veggie toppings while you prepare the crust. They get to make pizza with their favorites and you get some kitchen help!
Tortilla Pizza Variations
California Style Pizza
- Add delicious health with small bits of vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower or carrots.
- Use up left over chicken, cook up a little bit of chorizo or add a few slices of pepperoni for the meat lovers.
Western Style Pizza
- Use barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce.
- Add mozzarella cheese or sharp cheddar.
- Top off with red onion and fresh jalapeno pepper.
- Add shredded pork for a great addition.
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans on the tortilla.
- Add a layer of enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce.
- Use Mexican blend cheese for the next layer.
- Top with tomatoes and green chilies.
- Add cooked ground beef or turkey for meat lovers.
More Pizza Goodness
Turn Leftovers Into a New Meal: Sprinkle already cooked meat or vegetables cut in small pieces on top of the cheese. It's a new tortilla pizza!
Add Meat for a Heartier Meal: Brown ground turkey or beef and add it between the tomato sauce and the cheese or sprinkle on the top.
More Flavor and Health: Add chopped pepper or mushrooms. Adding chopped kale or spinach adds extra color and health.
More Veggies: Add small pieces of veggies on top of the cheese. Roasting veggies adds flavor.
Crispier Crust: Brown the tortilla before you make the pizza. Heat a very small amount of oil in a frying pan. Brown the tortilla on one side for 15 seconds. Flip over and brown the other side. Place on paper towel to remove oil. Add your toppings and bake.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!