Our Harvest Home Farmer's Markets are overflowing with freshly picked, naturally ripened fruits and veggies: bright yellow summer squash, juicy green peas, fat round calabaza, shiny red and yellow peppers, piles of crisp leafy greens. YUM!
Got a veggie hater or two in your family? A sprinkle of herbs or a dash of spice can turn those grim faced, "Eh, they're okay" reactions into "More, please, MORE!" smiles. A pinch of seasoning not only adds flavor, herbs and spices can give your body a boost. Try some of these pairings:
- Basil has beta-carotene antioxidants that protect your blood vessels. Delicious sprinkled on fresh tomatoes, cooked with squash and onions or added to salads
- Rosemary helps nasal congestion and can reduce allergy symptoms. Great with peas! Rosemary, carrots and cumin are a Mediterranean vacation for the taste buds.
- Dill is a good source of calcium for healthy bones. Yum with carrots, green beans or cucumbers (of course!).
- Tarragon is high in antioxidants and helps lower blood sugar. Green beans love it. And fantastic with chicken or toasted with a medley of roasted summer vegetables.
Cilantro, garlic or parsley will add zest to almost anything. Cilantro helps lower blood sugar and cholesterol. Garlic strengthens your immune system and helps fight infections, like colds. Parsley, an excellent source of Vitamin C and K as well as folic acid, promotes cardiovascular health. BONUS: Parsley is also a quick way to Freshen Up your breath!
Keep it simple and sprinkle on one herb for each dish. Check our recipes below for more herb and veggie combos. Be creative! Mix your favorite herb or spice with a veggie that you like. Learn other ways to use herbs: Beginner's Guide to Cooking With Herbs. It's a tasty way to eat healthier!
Visit HHFM online
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large zucchini, sliced in half moons*
- 2 large summer squash, sliced in half moons*
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Palm-full of chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in non-stick pan and add onion and garlic
- Cook for 2-3 mins
- Add zucchini and squash
- Cook for 3-5 mins until lightly browned
- Turn off the heat
- Toss veggies with lime juice and cilantro
*NOTE: To make half moons, cut zucchini in half length-wise and then slice
Herbs & Veggies
- For best flavor, add herbs after cooking your veggies or during the last minute of cooking.
- Liven up plain steamed veggies with a dash of olive oil and herbs. Olive oil helps spread the flavor of the herbs.
- Fresh herbs have more delicate flavor than dried herbs: 1Tbsp of fresh herbs = 1 tsp of dried herbs
- Learn more about cooking with fresh herbs at
- Dry some of your own herbs by hanging fresh herbs in a bunch and letting them dry in a window until the leaves fall off. Remove the stems and store in a tight jar. Use small leafed herbs, not large leafed ones like basil or cilantro.
More Seasoning Combos We Like:
- Summer squash and onions with basil (basil always loves tomato - toss some in)
- Calabaza with rosemary
- Beets with red onion and dill
- Collard greens with garlic and thyme
- Potatoes with rosemary
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!