At last!! Sweet peaches, juicy fresh corn and red ripe tomatoes have arrived!! Ripened in our farmers' fields and NOW freshly picked waiting for you at a nearby Harvest Home Farmer's Markets.
They're dripping with flavor and taste, after one bite you'll know the difference. Bite into a fresh ear of corn, peach or tomato, the juice spurts out and the taste...WOW! Something you can only get in the summer when these beauties are in season. Amazing! Not only are they mouth-watering, they are powerhouses of healthy nutrition and imperative for hot weather.
Eat them raw (even corn) or cooked. Snack on them. Toss them in any of your dishes. Mix them together for quick salsa or salad dressing that shimmers with flavor:
- Mix together 1 peach, 1 tomato, some corn and 1/4 cup of onion.
- Add 1 Tbsp each of mint, cilantro and lime juice and a tsp of seeded jalapeno if you want some heat.
Make a quick no-cook meal with the recipe in our Recipe section. Save the peaches for dessert (see Tips section)!
While you're enjoying that fresh delicious taste, you'e also getting extra healthy nutrition:
- Tomatoes help lower cholesterol. Good for your heart, good for your eyes and they can even help prevent wrinkles!
- Corn is full of antioxidants that clean your body. Surprise: An ear of corn has the same calories as an apple! Just watch the butter, try using olive oil instead.
- Peaches have 10 vitamins, like A for better eye sight and lots of B vitamins to give you energy.
All these summer treats are an easy way to get extra fluid on hot sticky days. Plus, they are low in calories and can keep you looking good all summer long!
Indulge yourself. Eat them because they taste amazing and are oh so healthy! Just remember to keep a paper towel or a napkin handy. Your chin will need it.
For more summer beauties (and those coming up in the fall), check out our crop schedule on our website at HHFM Crop Schedule.
SUPPORT HARVEST HOME! Our Savor the Season event tickets are ON SALE for the entire month of August! Use promo code: SUMMERSALE at checkout for 10% discount on all ticket levels! We'll see you there!
No-Cook Summer Salad
A great meal by itself or as the base of a whole meal. Just add chunks of chicken and some extra lettuce or even a bit of cooked pasta.
- 6 large ears of fresh corn
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 small onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- Rinse tomatoes and cucumbers and cut into 1/2" cubes.
- Cut each ear of corn in half, stand each half ear on end and cut off the kernels.
- Chop onion, parsley and cilantro.
- Combine in a bowl with lemon or lime juice.
For a Meal
- Add 1" pieces of cooked chicken and lettuce (optional).
- Add another Tbsp of lime or lemon juice and 3 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cutting corn from a cob can be tricky. Click HERE for 3 easy ways to do it.
- Tomatoes and peaches will ripen quickly on your counter. They taste better without being refrigerated. Purchase a few that are a little hard and in 4-5 days they'll be just ripe for eating.
- Fresh corn is best eaten a day or two after you buy it. Store cobs in the fridge to keep the sweetness. Save some for winter by simply cutting of the kernels and putting them in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. Delicious in January!
Combos to Try
- Sliced tomatoes with basil. Add some mozzarella cheese. Add a tiny bit of olive oil, if you want.
- Peaches and almonds with a dash of cinnamon or easy peach crumble. Click HERE for a recipe.
- Grill peaches (lightly) with a sprinkle of marjoram.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!