No matter how you pronounce it, the perfect tomatoes are here NOW! Red, succulent and drenched with the juicy taste you only get from fresh, locally grown, ripened on the vine and picked the day before you get them, TOMATOES! That's why they're so tasty and loaded with nutrition. Find them at our Harvest Home Farmer's Markets and feast on REAL tomato taste. So different from what you'll get in the supermarket!
A Boost for the Body: Tomatoes are bursting with lycopene which helps prevent heart disease, cancer and diabetes; full of beta carotene which is important for eye health and potassium to help maintain healthy blood pressure. PLUS vitamins A and C which are essential for overall body health!
A mouth-watering treat of the season: Eat them plain or with a bit of olive oil, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Mix them with fresh peaches for new twist for SALSA:
- 1 lb tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper (4 oz), seeded and finely diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs peaches, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Chop tomatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. Finely chop seeded pepper, jalapeños and onion and transfer to bowl.
- Dice the peaches. No need to peel them. You won't notice the peels and the color is prettier with the peel on. Transfer peaches to your bowl.
- Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Mix well and enjoy!
Try Fresh Tomato Sauce in our Recipe section or click HERE. From now until mid-October, feast on REAL tomatoes!
Save some sunny summer taste for those damp, chilly winter days: Freeze some tomatoes or make extra sauce, salsa or sofrito. Enjoy summer perfection NOW and AGAIN in January!
Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 3 cups diced, seeded ripe tomatoes
- ½ cup finely diced green or orange bell pepper (optional)
- 2 scallions - white & pale green parts only - thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (4 oz) crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted & coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, garlic and oil in a large bowl. Toss to mix well.
- Add feta cheese, olives, parsley, basil, balsamic vinegar, wine vinegar and lemon juice. Toss again.
- Season with salt and pepper.
"Make Ahead" Tip
- Prepare through Step 1.
- Cover and let stand at room temp for up to 1.5 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Serve on top of hot or cold pasta.
Recipe Variations and More
"Slightly Cooked Pasta Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add tomatoes, peppers, scallions and garlic.
- Cook for 5 to 10 mins or until tomatoes are as soft as you want. Stir to avoid sticking. Add a little water if needed.
- Remove from heat
- Add the rest of the ingredients listed.
- Let sit for 15 - 30 mins for flavors to mix.
- Try orange or yellow peppers instead of green peppers to make a sauce with a stronger tomato flavor.
- Add ¼ cup of red onion instead of scallions.
Tips and Tricks
- Freezing salsa can be a little tricky. Learn how HERE!
- How to peel a tomato: Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Drop in fresh tomato for about a minute until the skin splits. Remove with fork or slotted spoon. Let cool a bit. Skin will slide off easily.
- Don't forget to add fresh summer tomatoes to salads, soup, stir-fry or stews. Great in almost anything!
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!