Shopping at a supermarket is a fact of life. In the areas that Harvest Home Farmer's Markets serve, finding a quality supermarket may mean a trek.
SHOP for produce at your nearest farmers' market whenever possible! Less to carry from the supermarket, FRESH AIR and community make HHFM a great addition to weekly shopping plans. Visit our website to find a market near you. You'll see all kinds of farm fresh, local, seasonal produce, at reasonable prices. And, you'll be supporting local farmers as you eat your way to better health.
At the supermarket, you can score deals with WEEKLY SPECIALS. Stocking-up on meats, whole grains, dried beans, dairy, spices and pantry items can SAVE money and make cooking a variety of healthy meals more convenient.
Often the produce at supermarkets is from large agri-businesses that employ industrial farming methods for maximum yield and uniform appearance, which may not be best for taste, nutritional value, or the environment.
Look for labels with "no hormones", "no antibiotics", "cage free", "minimally processed" and "all natural". "Grass fed" and "organic" are ideal, but often expensive unless they're on SALE.
Whole Grains and Sautéed Seasonal Vegetables are quick, filling, healthy and inexpensive.
So many choices: For a list WHOLE GRAINS A to Z, click HERE. Some of our favorites are:
- Brown Rice
- Bulgur (as cracked wheat too)
- Kumat and Wheatberry (whole kernel wheat - try it; you might like it!)
Plan Ahead for Meals. Pre-Prep Your Food (Wash, Chop, Cook, Store). Save Time.
- Stir Fry Chicken, Peas and Broccoli with Farro, Onions and Garlic.
- Sauté or Steam Seasonal Vegetables and serve with a Spicy Beef Burger (no bun) and Roasted Potatoes.
- SLOW COOK a bone-in' meat with onion, garlic, carrots, celery and fresh herb(s), for a favorite comfort food combo. Slow cooking - with a Dutch Oven or Crock Pot - lets you go about your day while making a delicious one pot meal, batch cooking, or braising meat to perfection.
- Marinate Fresh Fruit by tossing with a little sugar and lemon, just enough to coat the fruit. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight. Top with some plain Greek yogurt for a luscious high protein treat.
SUPPORT HARVEST HOME!
Savor the Season event tickets are on sale NOW! Visit http://savortheseasonuptown.eventbrite.com/ and use promo code SAVORSPECIAL at checkout for a 20% discount on General Admission tickets! See you there!
Featured Savor The Season Uptown Chef
Chef Julian Medina, Owner of La Chula
Meet Chef Julian Medina! He is chef-owner of Toloache, Yerba Buena, Coppelia, Tacuba Mexican Cantina, and La Chula and has been creating refined Mexican cuisine for over fifteen years.
Raised in Mexico City, Julian's inspiration was his father's and grandfather's authentic home cooking!
Chef Julian has been featured in many publications, including The New York Times, and The New Yorker, and on notable television shows. In 2010, Sam Sifton, famed New York Times food critic, gave Toloache one star along with an applauding review. In March 2011, Julian made his premiere on Iron Chef America: Mexican Chocolate Battle.
LaChula has just opened their Harlem location and is well-known for their Grand Central Terminal location in the city!
137 E 116th St
New York, NY 10029
Tel: (646) 590-3975
Grand Central Terminal Location
89 E 42nd St
New York, NY 10017
Tel: (212) 599-7500
Recipe by Chef Julian Medina
Chef Julian Medina's
Tuna Tostada recipe serves 4 and features chipotle mayo, soy-ginger salsa and crispy leeks!
- 4 corn tostadas
- 4 tsp chipotle or spicy mayo
- 8 slices of sushi quality yellow fin tuna
For The Salsa
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp sliced scallions
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped jalapeño
For The Crispy Leeks
- 1 leek cut in half and sliced
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the vegetable oil to 300 degrees F to fry the leeks.
- When the temperature is ready, add the leeks for 1 - 2 min until golden in color.
- Set them aside on a paper tower to dry.
- Sprinkle kosher salt to taste.
- For the salsa, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Place each crispy tostada on a plate and top with 1 tsp of the spicy mayo.
- Add 2 slices of raw tuna, put 1 tsp of the salsa on top and garnish with crispy leeks.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!