Happy Holidays from our Harvest Home family to yours. We recommend shutting down your computer, talking instead of texting, singing, laughing and chatting with people you love and enjoy. That's what holidays are for!
Of course, while you are sitting around, everyone wants to nibble and nosh. Surprise your friends and family with different dips and homemade "chips." You can cut the calories without losing a bit of taste!
Fruit and veggie chips are easy to prepare, but some take a long-time cooking in the oven. Whichever you're making, it's basically the same: Thinly slice the fruit or veggie, season and bake on a cookie sheet. Check time and oven temperature for each fruit or vegetable because each will be different.
Fruit Chips: Apples, Plantain, Banana
- Apple Chips: Thinly slice 3 apples. Spread them on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp of sugar and 2 Tbsp of cinnamon. Bake at 200° for 3 hours, flipping the apples once.
- Banana Chips: Use 3 bananas, even ones that are over ripe. Slice thinly, place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Brush lightly with lemon juice mixed with a little water. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and kosher salt. Bake at 250° for 1.5 hrs.
Veggie Chips: Sweet Potatoes, Beets, Carrots, Zucchini
- Spicy Carrot Chips: Use 2 lbs of fat carrots. Slice at an angle to make elongated pieces. Put slices in a bowl with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp cinnamon. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 min at 425° until the edges curl up and turn crispy. Flip over and bake another 5-8 min to brown the backs.
If your chip eaters need dips, use low fat cream cheese, yogurt or mayonnaise. (See Recipe section)
REMEMBER: Holiday food is a celebration! Enjoy! Eat everything, just not toooooo much of anything. Most importantly, share your love and your smiles generously.
Dips with Dash
Whip up these dips in just a few minutes! Surprise your family and friends with a different taste and a bit of health!
Curried Yogurt Dip
- 1 1/2 cups of low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Mix together and chill for 1 hour before serving
Cuban Black Bean Dip
- 1 6 oz package Cuban-style black bean soup mix
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle chile powder
- 2 Tbsp sour cream or Mexican crema
- Garnishes: diced tomatoes, thinly sliced green onions
- Bring soup mix, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cover saucepan, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 25 mins.
- Uncover and cook 5 - 7 mins or until thick and beans are tender. Let cool 30 mins.
- Process soup mixture, lime juice, cumin and chile powder in a food processor for 20 secs or until smooth. Spoon mixture into a serving bowl.
- Cover and chill 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container up to 2 days.
- Spread center of dip with Mexican crema, and garnish, if desired. Serve with fresh vegetable slices.
NOTE: Add a smoky taste with 2 tsp of chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce.
Happier Holidays + Dip Tips
Tips for Happy Holidays
- Holiday meals are celebrations. Eat and be merry! To stay happy and healthy, skip a few forkfuls. It takes 500 calories/day (or 3,500 calories/week) above what you normally eat to gain 1 lb. Slightly smaller portions will let you enjoy the holidays while keeping you from gaining holiday weight.
- Don't skip meals or "save yourself" for big dinner parties. Breakfast is really important. It's the meal that charges you for the day. Don't skip it!
- Dessert tastes amazing, but don't skip the salad. Enjoy everything, just a few bites less of everything.
- Take photos of each other, not the food. It'll make your Instagram waaaayyyy more interesting!
Fast Fruit Snacks
- Apple slices dusted with cinnamon and sugar
- Banana lightly dipped in cocoa powder
- Pear slices with a dash of ginger and sugar
Raw Veggie Snacks
- Carrot sticks with yogurt and dill dips
- Cauliflower with hummus
- Broccoli stems with salsa
Dips for Fruit
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Mix cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Add pumpkin and cinnamon and beat until smooth. Chill for 1 hr. Give toddlers apple slices for dipping.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!