In the summer, it's easy keeping our bodies fit and agile by taking care of our bones. Start by taking a stroll to your local Harvest Home Farmer's Market. There's no better way to keep your bones limber and strong than taking a short walk in the sun!
Why? Because as soon as the sunlight touches your skin, you start to build those bones. Sunlight spurs our skin's natural production of vitamin D. Vitamin D is needed so that calcium can build stronger bones. Together, calcium and vitamin D combine to help prevent fractures, breaks and even the risk of Osteoporosis.
Once you're getting a vitamin D boost in the sun, pick up some fresh green vegetables filled with calcium at your local Harvest Home Farmer's Market. Vegetables like kale, collard greens, cabbage and broccoli are loaded with calcium. Fruits like pears, fresh prunes and apricots are also good sources. Calcium and vitamin D work as a team. That short walk in the sun puts those fruit and veggies to work.
Try some of these delicious combinations that will keep you moving all summer:
- Add chunks of tuna to green salads or sandwiches - oily fish like tuna and mackerel contain both vitamin D and calcium.
- Stir-fry mushrooms with kale, garlic, thyme and a sprinkle of olive oil, as a tasty side dish.
- Sauté bok-choy (or any seasonal green), red peppers, bean sprouts, corn and onions with a little low sodium soy sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Scrumptious!
- Toss nuts, oranges and pear pieces on some low-fat yogurt for a refreshing treat.
These combos will keep you healthy and limber. PLUS calcium and vitamin D are vital for overall health. They help maintain our nerves, brains and cardiovascular systems. Pretty soon you'll be doing cartwheels on your way to the next market!
and tag @HarvestHomeMkts in your posts!
SUPPORT HARVEST HOME!
Savor the Season event tickets are on sale NOW for the entire month of August! Visit http://savortheseasonuptown.eventbrite.com/ Use promo code:to purchase a ticket and use code SUMMERSALE at checkout for 10% discount on all ticket levels! See you there!
Meet Savor The Season Uptown's VIP Chef!
Featured on The Food Network
Chef Kenny will give a 20-minute cooking demonstration during the VIP portion of Harvest Home's Savor The Season Uptown event!
As an author and life coach, Chef Kenny will be giving out his secret tips on How To Create Sustainable and Successful Eating Habits For Life!
After losing 70 pounds, Chef Kenny wrote his book EAT FOR LIFE! to help others enjoy flavorful, good food while staying healthy and fit. You'll be able to sample one of his delicious 20-minute healthy recipes and smoothie.
SAVOR THE SEASON UPTOWN'S VIP Healthy Meal Tasting Menu
(Ingredients sourced from Harvest Home Farmer's Market)
- Sesame Red Cabbage with Grilled Chorizo & Smoked Avocado Sauce
- Carrot Coconut Smoothie with Pumpkin Spice
Zest Bean Salad with Crumbled Feta
Recipe by VIP Chef Kenny
Chef Kenny's Zesty Bean Salad with Crumbled Feta recipe is the perfect sidekick for weeknight-grilled chicken!
- 1 bunch radish, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions (white parts only), chopped
- 1 cup cumbers, peeled, small diced
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 15 oz can small white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 9 oz bag frozen lima beans, thawed
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 oz crumble feta cheese
- 1 small head salad greens (Bibb lettuce or green leaf), chopped
- Add the radish, scallion, cucumbers, capers, white beans, lima beans and basil in a large bowl.
- Add the lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and cinnamon and toss well.
- Let stand for 3 mins (or overnight).
- Add the crumble feta and salad greens, gently fold into bean mixture.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve salad at room along with crusty whole wheat bread or skillet cornbread.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!