HHFM Relocation and Nutrition and Wellness Center Fund
Harvest Home Farmer's Market (Harvest Home) is thriving and bringing reasonably priced farm fresh produce to food deserts, promoting better health outcomes through nutrition and nutrition education focused on lower income New York City residents. SUPPORT Harvest Home's Nutrition and Wellness Center Fund on #GivingTuesday a global day of giving that harnesses the collective power of individuals, communities and organizations to encourage philanthropy and to celebrate generosity worldwide.
#GivingNutritionAndWellness is the launch of our fund to relocate and add a Nutrition and Wellness Center that incorporates a new office location and a teaching kitchen. Every dollar from corporations, foundations and institutions helps. Major donors will have the opportunity to brand the kitchen, nutrition and wellness room(s), and possible office areas. Donations will be placed in an interest-bearing account to be used for this dream goal. Harvest Home needs your help to realize this goal.
Also, you can support Harvest Home's operations by doing your regular shopping through Amazon Smile and selecting Harvest Home Farmer's Market as your charity of choice. Your purchase price will not change and Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to us. You can learn more about Amazon Smile at https://smile.amazon.com/. Search for Harvest Home Farmer's Market or click HERE.
Your tax deductible financial support will make this dream a reality. I look forward to successful market seasons to come and fulfilling Harvest Home's mission of better health outcomes through nutrition.
Thank you for your support and have a wonderful Thanksgiving! See the recipes in this newsletter for some tasty Thanksgiving dishes.
Chief Executive Officer
Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Made Ahead Salads with Colorful, Refreshing Taste
Wash greens the day before, wrap lightly in paper towel and place in a plastic bag.
- Add some color: Chop up or grate one beet, 2 apples and 3 carrots. Mix with 2 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Store overnight. Mix with greens just before you serve the turkey.
- Try a different taste: Cranberry Vinaigrette Dressing for lettuce, pears and walnut salad. In a saucepan, mix together 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup cranberries and cook until cranberries are soft, remove from heat: add 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt. Put in a blender and mix until smooth.
Spice Up Sweet Potatoes (and Reduce the Calories)
- Sweet Potato Parsnip Puree:Boil 2 sweet potatoes and 4 parsnips for 12 mins. Drain and mash with 2 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil (or 3 Tbsp of butter), 1/4 cup of milk and 2 Tbsp of brown sugar. Add a dash of salt.
- Chipotle/Lime Sweet Potatoes:Wrap sweet potatoes in damp paper towel and microwave for 8 mins. Cool and remove skins. Mash in 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 Tbsp milk (fat-free), 1 Tbsp lime juice, 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce, 1/2 tsp adobo sauce and a dash of salt.
Save Time: Roast a Mix of Veggies
- Slide a cookie sheet with veggies on the oven shelf under the turkey. Cut veggies into cubes, sprinkle with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs you like. Click HERE for combos with the same cooking time.
- A tasty fall mix is sweet potatoes or butternut squash with apples and brussel sprouts.
Very Cranberry Pear Pie
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 large ripe pears, unpeeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
Nut Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 1 cup walnuts or pecan halves
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- Make a bottom pie crust.
- Combine cranberries and 1/2 cup sugar in food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times until cranberries are well chopped.
- Transfer to large bowl and mix with pears, lemon juice and orange zest.
- Mix well and set aside for 20 mins. Preheat oven to 400.
- In small bowl mix remaining sugar with cornstarch, cinnamon and cardamon. Add to fruit and mix well. Turn filling into chilled pie shell. Place in center of oven and bake for 35 mins.
- Meanwhile make topping. Put nuts, sugar, flour and salt in food processor and pulse several times to mix.
- Scatter the butter over the top and pulse until the mixture resembles medium fine crumbs.
- Transfer to bowl and rub the crumbs between your fingers to make large buttery crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove the pie from the oven and reduce temp to 375.
- Carefully dump topping into center of pie, spreading the crumbs evenly over the surface and tamp them down lightly. Return to oven and bake until juices bubble thickly around the edges 30-35 mins.
- Let cool 1 hour before serving.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Comment below, follow up on social media and join our mailing list for healthy recipes and tips on how to prepare your meals!